The Dorset Chalk Stream Club will have its Christmas social gathering at West Stafford Village Hall on Friday the 20th December starting promptly at 7.00pm
Please bring a plate of food to pop on the buffet table and bottle of your favorite tipple, or grab a drink from the Wise Man.
Our “Home Beat” will be open for the club during the day if you fancy casting a fly at a Grayling or just pop in for a walk.. Please ping me an e mail to let me know you are coming. firstname.lastname@example.org
A very busy evening, great speakers covering a variety of fascinating topics.
- “Taking the P of the Piddle”- An update on the Frome & Piddle Catchment Initiative with Zoe Pittaway- Catchment Coordinator Wessex Water http://www.wessexwater.co.uk/environment/threecol.aspx?id=7525
- Update on the work done by the GWCT at the River Lab at East Stoke with Stephen Gregory http://www.gwct.org.uk/research/species/fish/salmon/
- A break for our fabulous Xmas buffet and more liquid refreshment.
- Christina Tooley, proprietor of “Chevron Hackles” fly tying materials, a must.. http://www.chevronhackles.com/
- Fly Fishing in Iceland with Charles Jardine http://www.charlesjardine.co.uk/
The usual second hand tackle table, also there will be lots of second hand fly tying kit on sale to raise a pound or two for the DFC
Large selection of fly fishing & fly tying books donated by a rather fine chef – all money raised will be donated the Dorset Wildlife Trust
Harry Wallace will be selling a great selection of Dry flies and a selection of his new Grayling patterns.
I will be keeping a selection of Harry’s flies at home for the rest of this season, so if you need any please give me a ring. 01305 257490
Open to all folk with a passion for our chalk streams and fly fishing…
A truly fantastic turn out of over fifty people, a busy bar in the Wise Man, and a good flow of fisher folk arriving clutching plates of food and bottles of wine to share for a meal celebrating our chalk streams and the fishing done so far this year.
It was a true feast, held in style, a fantastic buffet kindly supplied by all, a seriously generous amount of Indian food supplied by the New Ghurkha in Dorchester (thank you to Trev and Jo for sorting that great surprise) and a monster Victoria sponge very kindly supplied by the “Baking Bird’s” www.homemadebylb.co.uk
We all sat, ate, drank and chatted for a couple of hours, looked at the few stalls, shifted through the endless amounts of second hand books and fly tying kit for sale, and some bought a selection of Harry’s stunning Grayling flies, and Robin sold a few of his print’s.
The other great event of the evening was the amount of people who bought along a memory stick with a selection of their favourite fishing pictures, not only did they put them up on the screen, but spoke and shared their stories with us… Fantastic! We only managed to look at a few as it got rather late….
- Jim took us on a little tour of his Loch fishing in Scotland
- Ian introduced us to the Monnow Association and the fishing on the Wye and Usk
- Bryan talked about some of the work on the DFC
- Ian R showed us some stunning little brooks in Yorkshire
- Paul talked us through those lovely big Frome Salmon
- Neill quiet simply showed us pictures of fish we can only dream about….
In summary, nothing short of an amazing evening and my thanks go out to all for helping on the night and sharing your chalk stream passions, which makes the “Dorset Chalk Stream Club”……
The Dorset Chalk Stream Club will have its first winter social gathering at West Stafford Village hall on Friday the 8th November starting at 7.00pm
The format for the evening will be a totally informal celebration of the 2013 Trout season..
- Please bring a plate of food to pop on the buffet table.
- A bottle of your favourite tipple, or grab a drink from the Wise Man.
- Please put a few of your photographs on a memory stick and we can put them up on a screen.
- The usual second hand tackle table, and if you would like to have a stand, just give me a ring 01305 257490 or ping me an email – email@example.com
- Please bring friends along to meet fellow Chalkstream and flyfisher folk.
- We can put together the rest of the winter program.
We all knew the weather would change but did it have too on the Summer BBQ day! Thanks to all those who came along and HUGE thanks to Sarah Williams from the Dorset Wildlife Trust for her wonderful cakes and a special HUGE thank you to John & Andrea Aplin for the use of their home – well done
There was an auction of some wonderful fishing on the River Frome and this alone raised £260.00 – thanks to everyone who contributed a days fishing and to Liberty Aplin for being master of ceremonies..